This year has already been filled with a lot of highs and a lot of lows. This year Josh and I found out we were pregnant! An obvious high moment. This was the best news we had heard. I took the pregnancy test on my own and then wrote on a small poster, "Mama's pregnant" and placed it next to Rufus in his cage. Josh adores Rufus so he seemed to think it was a fun idea. We both took it all on and were so grateful we were going to be parents. As thrilled as I was I didn't allow myself to get too excited. I was worried with how many stories I had heard of people miscarrying so I tried to mentally prepare myself just in case. I almost pretended as if I wasn't pregnant. The weeks leading up to when you are technically in the "safe" zone seemed to drag on forever. I didn't feel pregnant which was a plus so I kept going on with my daily life.
Everything was going fine until March 8th. We were getting ready to go to dinner with friends and I ran upstairs and curled up in a ball. My stomach suddenly started shooting sharp pains. It was the worst pain I have ever experienced. We had no idea what was wrong. The pain persisted so we ran to the emergency room. They gave me a lot of meds and nothing seemed to help the pain. The doctor did an ultrasound, blood work, and urine samples and couldn't find anything wrong. What they did find was a healthy baby which was so exciting to see for the first time. They did not want to do an x-ray because I was pregnant so they just told me they thought I was constipated. I couldn't help but roll my eyes. This pain was NOT constipation. Anyways, we went home and treated it as if it were just that.
Throughout the weekend and week the pain came and went. I was supposed to fly out to Philadelphia for work on Tuesday but had an overwhelming feeling that I should not go. Tuesday I actually hadn't felt too bad so I debated back and forth in my head whether I should go. Luckily I listened to my gut instinct and cancelled my flight that day. The next day I went down for bed and the sharp pains came on but this time stronger than ever. Josh was playing basketball so I continued to call him until he answered. I knew it was serious and I felt like I was going to die. I have always had a high tolerance of pain. This time I wanted Josh to load his gun ha It took everything I had just to stand up. We rushed to the ER. Once again they put me on a ton of medication that didn't even touch the pain. Nothing is more frustrating. We were there for 6 hours with no answers. Luckily a new doctor came on shift and felt my stomach. He called in 2 surgeons and they seemed to know what could be wrong. They had no choice but to rush me in to get an x-ray and immediately found the problem. Next thing I knew I was going in for surgery.
The Lord works in amazing ways. The new doctor came in when I was feeling desperate and took matters into his own hands. I was also very grateful the surgeons took the time to come look at me. They told me they had a surgery that was cancelled that morning and when they realized I needed surgery they called off the other surgery they had scheduled at that time to do me instead. They told a large portion of my small intestines had died. If they didn't remove it immediately it would become fatal.
Josh made a call to mine and his parents to inform them that I was going in for surgery and also announced we were pregnant. ha surprise. That was defiantly not the way I imagined telling my loved ones we were pregnant. Josh felt he was left with no choice and we needed prayers for both. I guess while I was under the surgeons informed Josh that the chance of us losing the baby was high during and immediately after surgery. Its safe to say we experienced a miracle. The baby made it and I also found out that even though they removed 6 1/2 feet of my small intestines I was born with extra then most people. This meant I would still be able to receive the nutrition I needed throughout my life no problem. We stayed in the hospital from Wednesday night to Monday morning. I had no idea how long this surgery took to recover. I was told to take at least 2 weeks off work and that it would be another month until I felt really good. Josh and I would walk around the hospital to help me recover quicker. He didn't ever leave my side and I feel so lucky to have someone like him. It was nice to come home but hard because I had no energy. It was hard to move and its been physically/emotionally really frustrating. Its hard to feel helpless. Im just grateful for family and friends who brought meals and were always reaching out. It is very humbling. Now its now time to focus on this baby we have coming in October!
Everything was going fine until March 8th. We were getting ready to go to dinner with friends and I ran upstairs and curled up in a ball. My stomach suddenly started shooting sharp pains. It was the worst pain I have ever experienced. We had no idea what was wrong. The pain persisted so we ran to the emergency room. They gave me a lot of meds and nothing seemed to help the pain. The doctor did an ultrasound, blood work, and urine samples and couldn't find anything wrong. What they did find was a healthy baby which was so exciting to see for the first time. They did not want to do an x-ray because I was pregnant so they just told me they thought I was constipated. I couldn't help but roll my eyes. This pain was NOT constipation. Anyways, we went home and treated it as if it were just that.
Throughout the weekend and week the pain came and went. I was supposed to fly out to Philadelphia for work on Tuesday but had an overwhelming feeling that I should not go. Tuesday I actually hadn't felt too bad so I debated back and forth in my head whether I should go. Luckily I listened to my gut instinct and cancelled my flight that day. The next day I went down for bed and the sharp pains came on but this time stronger than ever. Josh was playing basketball so I continued to call him until he answered. I knew it was serious and I felt like I was going to die. I have always had a high tolerance of pain. This time I wanted Josh to load his gun ha It took everything I had just to stand up. We rushed to the ER. Once again they put me on a ton of medication that didn't even touch the pain. Nothing is more frustrating. We were there for 6 hours with no answers. Luckily a new doctor came on shift and felt my stomach. He called in 2 surgeons and they seemed to know what could be wrong. They had no choice but to rush me in to get an x-ray and immediately found the problem. Next thing I knew I was going in for surgery.
The Lord works in amazing ways. The new doctor came in when I was feeling desperate and took matters into his own hands. I was also very grateful the surgeons took the time to come look at me. They told me they had a surgery that was cancelled that morning and when they realized I needed surgery they called off the other surgery they had scheduled at that time to do me instead. They told a large portion of my small intestines had died. If they didn't remove it immediately it would become fatal.
Josh made a call to mine and his parents to inform them that I was going in for surgery and also announced we were pregnant. ha surprise. That was defiantly not the way I imagined telling my loved ones we were pregnant. Josh felt he was left with no choice and we needed prayers for both. I guess while I was under the surgeons informed Josh that the chance of us losing the baby was high during and immediately after surgery. Its safe to say we experienced a miracle. The baby made it and I also found out that even though they removed 6 1/2 feet of my small intestines I was born with extra then most people. This meant I would still be able to receive the nutrition I needed throughout my life no problem. We stayed in the hospital from Wednesday night to Monday morning. I had no idea how long this surgery took to recover. I was told to take at least 2 weeks off work and that it would be another month until I felt really good. Josh and I would walk around the hospital to help me recover quicker. He didn't ever leave my side and I feel so lucky to have someone like him. It was nice to come home but hard because I had no energy. It was hard to move and its been physically/emotionally really frustrating. Its hard to feel helpless. Im just grateful for family and friends who brought meals and were always reaching out. It is very humbling. Now its now time to focus on this baby we have coming in October!
No comments:
Post a Comment